Tuesday, August 22, 2006

I see you!

I had a developmental scan done recently, at 22 weeks.

On reaching the hospital, I had to pee (I do that like 350 times a day now). That was a mistake. Coz to see a clear, fuzz-free scan, you need a full bladder. And having, *cough cough* a thick layer of fat on my tummy (though the sonographer politely said "a thick layer of skin"). The scan was kinda fuzzy (though it looked fine to me, the untrained eye). She spent a whopping 45 minutes locating organ after organ.

She measured the maternal blood volume going to the uterus, locate the main blood vessels - the aorta and the pulmonary vein, the kidneys, bladder, stomach, different brain lobes, the umbilical cord.

Then checked the heart function - whether the blood flow is normal - in colour - the four chambers present, the valves in working order - all to rule out possibilities of having to anticipate a heart disorder. I had to turn slightly towards my right coz the baby was not in a position to show the best scan. I was impressed!

Then she measured the various arm and thigh bones, even showed us the little feet and fingers!! The cranial bones measured and we are through. The report said everything is in order. ALL PRAISES TO GOD!

She even gave me a blurred photo, which looks like an alien, with the eye sockets visible. But I love it anyway.

Then a quick visit to the Dr, who said the baby was growing very well, to continue my vitamins and that was it. Scheduled another appointment in 4 weeks and another routine scan in 8 weeks.

I also have to go for the GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) at 28 weeks, which I have not calculated whether its gonna be in Ramadhan or not. This test requires an overnight fasting and then on reaching the hospital, have to drink a thick, extremely, excruciatingly sweet and concentrated glucose syrup, which I've seen have made some women puke. It would have been more drinkable if it was cold and carbonated. Then a tube of blood would be taken at an hour's interval each, for the next 3 hours and the glucose level measured in each.

The pregnancy books I have been reading seem outdated already. I can get unlimited information from the Internet now, on everything and anything about pregnancy I need to know, as long as I can bear to stare at the monitor.

Still constipating...but bearable, hehe. Hey, some have it worse.

(Err, tried to upload some scan pictures off the net, but Blogger not in a good mood today??)

1 comment:

Angel Eyes said...

Hey, would luv to see the photos too... hehe

Can't wait to see your baby!