Thursday, December 28, 2006

Quick Delivery (Not)

Still 7 Dec 2006

After the admission procedures were completed, I was sent to the ward. Changed into the pink hospital gown. I missed dinner so my husband and I had a quick dinner at Mac's. Wasn't hungry but the thought of being alone and hungry later made me eat.

Went to 711 for a quick round of "shopping" as I didnt bring my pre-packed "hospital bag"- socks (its gonna be freezing at the delivery room), face towel, some cookies (hehe). My husband can bring the bag tomorrow. Then went back to the ward. The Drs are not gonna be around to assess me immediately, I am no emergency case, so the husband goes home at 10pm. My hp batteries were running low. Called the kids back home and told them I am not coming home today. They took it quite well.

The Drs finally came way past 10pm. Since I was undecided to have my induction tonite, they will do it tomorrow morning at 6am. I was briefed on the procedure - having a tablet inserted into my cervix, will soften it. Then they will let nature runs its course - either the waterbag will break by itself or contractions will get on a roll and open up the cervix and deliver. Failing which, they will insert another tablet and another until I deliver.

I was also briefed on the risks of failed induction - uterine rupture, infection, hypertension to a dangerous level - all of which would warrant a Caesarian section. Um, oh well. I hope I won't have to go through that!

My blood pressure was taken every 4 hours and it fluctuates! It went back to normal at 4am. I have no idea why my blood pressure shot up. I am feeling fine. No headaches, visual disturbances, etc. I only did the usual household chores, nothing out of the ordinary. It must be age-related then.

As expected I didn't sleep well - the CTG machine had to be fixed to monitor baby's heart rate and my contractions, blood pressure and tempreature readings, blood samples taken.

I was not dilated, my cervix was high. I talked to my baby. He is obviously up to his usual kicks and turns at midnite. He is still not engaged in my pelvis, still floating happily. "Settle down ok baby? Things are gonna be earlier than we thought." I pray for a fast and easy delivery. Tomorrow. Maybe.

2 comments:

eiseais said...

pn bakerina...lamanya stop blogging. i'm waiting for your instalments ni.

bakerina said...

so sori. you know how it is with a new baby. things get overwhelmed and disorganised. i never tot i'd miss sleep! wait ah, pelan pelan i'll finish my story.